If you’re suffering from chronic pain or an injury that just won’t seem to heal, extracorporeal shock wave therapy may be able to help. This innovative treatment is now available right here in Brooksville, FL from Accurate Chiropractic Clinic.
Keep reading to learn all about how extracorporeal shock wave therapy works and how it can benefit you.
What is Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy?
Extracorporeal shock wave therapy, also known as ESWT, is a cutting-edge treatment that uses targeted sound waves to promote healing. ESWT sends high-energy acoustic pulses deep into damaged tissues and trigger the body’s natural healing processes. These sound waves essentially “wake up” the damaged cells and get them working again (Ogden et al., 2001).
ESWT helps treat a wide variety of orthopedic conditions. It’s commonly used for chronic injuries and pain such as:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendonitis
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer’s elbow
- Rotator cuff tendonitis
- Calcific shoulder tendonitis
- Patellar tendonitis
- Stress fractures
- Low back pain
The sound waves penetrate deep into the tissue and stimulate blood vessel growth, cellular activity, and collagen production. This facilitates the healing process and repairs the damaged tissue (Palmero et al., 2019).
How Does Treatment Work?
During an ESWT treatment session, a handheld applicator is placed directly on the skin over the injured area. This applicator delivers small pulses of acoustic shock waves into the tissue. Patients may feel some minor discomfort or tingling during the treatment. No anesthesia is required, as the sensation is tolerable.
Each session lasts around 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the treated area. Most patients require 3-5 treatments scheduled 1-2 weeks apart for the full benefits. Improvements are often felt after the very first session (Schmitz et al., 2015).
The ESWT treatment process is entirely non-invasive and drug-free. There is no surgery or recovery downtime required. Patients can immediately return to normal activity right after each appointment.
The Benefits of Shock Wave Therapy Treatment
There are many advantages to using ESWT over other treatment options:
- Long-lasting pain relief: ESWT treats the root cause of pain, not just the symptoms. Patients experience a 60-80% reduction in pain that lasts (Wang et al., 2006).
- Non-invasive and drug-free: No surgical procedures or medication needed.
- Quick results: Improvements can occur after just 1-3 sessions. The full treatment plan takes only a few weeks (Gollwitzer et al., 2015).
- Safe and effective: Over 20 years of clinical studies prove ESWT’s efficacy and safety. There are virtually no risks or side effects (Palmero et al., 2019).
- No downtime: Treatments are quick and painless. Normal activity can be resumed immediately.
- Improved functionality: Damaged tissues heal stronger than before, allowing increased mobility and function (Wang et al., 2006).
- Cost-effective: ESWT is more affordable than surgery and many other treatments. Provides lasting results for your investment.
For many chronic pain sufferers, ESWT is the solution they’ve been searching for. It’s an innovative, proven way to finally heal injuries, reduce pain, restore function, and improve quality of life.
Experience Shock Wave Therapy in Brooksville, FL
Accurate Chiropractic Clinic is proud to offer ESWT in Brooksville, FL. Our experienced chiropractors have extensive training in extracorporeal shock wave therapy. They have helped many patients find relief from chronic pain and injuries through ESWT.
We use state-of-the-art ESWT technology to deliver fast, customized treatment based on each patient’s unique needs. Our goal is simple: to get patients out of pain and back to living their lives fully again.
Don’t suffer needlessly when ESWT may be the answer. Call Accurate Chiropractic Clinic today at (352) 684-2707 to schedule a consultation. We’ll help determine if ESWT is right for you and customize an effective treatment plan. Experience the proven pain relief, healing, and better function you’ve been waiting for!
Resources for this article:
- A scientific review article on the effectiveness of ESWT for various musculoskeletal conditions: Wang CJ, Wang FS, Yang KD, et al. Long-term results of extracorporeal shockwave treatment for plantar fasciitis. The American journal of sports medicine. 2006 Jul;34(4):592-6.
- An overview of the mechanisms of action of ESWT from the Radiological Society of North America: Palmero A, Halpern C, Maignon G, Girard J, Masquelet AC, Gazarian A. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy: Why, when and how? Diagn Interv Imaging. 2019 Nov;100(11):687-692.
- Clinical guidelines on ESWT dosage protocols from the International Society for Medical Shockwave Treatment:
Schmitz C, Császár NB, Milz S, et al. Efficacy and safety of extracorporeal shock wave therapy for orthopedic conditions: a systematic review on studies listed in the PEDro database. Br Med Bull. 2015 Jun;116(1):115-38.
- A study on the long-term pain relief of ESWT for recalcitrant plantar fasciitis: Gollwitzer H, Saxena A, DiDomenico LA, et al. Clinically relevant effectiveness of focused extracorporeal shock wave therapy in the treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis: a randomized, controlled multicenter study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 May 6;97(9):701-8.
- An overview of ESWT procedures, equipment and techniques from the National Institutes of Health: Ogden JA, Tóth-Kischkat A, Schultheiss R. Principles of shock wave therapy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001 Jun;(387):8-17.